The moment my kids became hooked on reading was when they fell under the spell of Harry Potter. They devoured all 7 of those books and became avid readers after that. Now they prefer reading to watching TV.
Their favorite series right now is the Hunger Games Trilogy. The first movie comes out March 23, 2012. See the official movie trailer below.
How can you get your kids hooked on reading? Everyone is different, but if your kids are anything like mine they will get hooked when they can't wait to read the next book in the series.
Furthermore, when they love a series so much such as Harry Potter, they will read the books more than one time to catch every subtlety and nuance they missed the first time. It's like visiting a friend again. My top ten book series for teens (make that 11 including The Hunger Games) according to my children are:
- Harry Potter - JK Rowling
- Twilight - Stephanie Meyer
- Percy Jackson - Rick Riordon
- The Secret Books - Pseudonymous Bosch
- Divergent Trilogy - Veronica Roth
- The Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis
- A Series of Unfortunate Events - Lemony Snickett
- The Lord of the Rings JR Tolkien
- The Hobbit - JR Tolkein
- The Diary of a Wimpy Kid - Jeff Kinney (the reading is fast and fun)
What are your children's favorite books or series? Sometimes it just take a little nudge to get them hooked. Then before you know it you've created a reading machine.
Start light, get them fascinated with reading, then the rest will happen.
Official Movie Trailer for "The Hunger Games"